Having car problems? Be grateful you have a car. (yes, that’s particularly and specifically appropriate for me at the moment ~ it’s actually what brought on today’s blog post!)
I think that I’ll get agreement with the idea that it’s fairly easy to be grateful to the things in our lives that “go right” ~ but what about the things that aren’t-so-much-right-going? (By the way, my Elementary teacher Mom’s brain has just exploded with that syntax! hahaha! sorry Mom!)
Many days, I try to close my eyes and acknowledge the things and people I’m grateful for… and the challenges (I refuse to call them “set-backs” or something else equally negative) I’ve had to face that day. I don’t remember to do it every day, but let me tell you that on the days I do, it makes me very happy.
So then I gave a little thought as to why I would feel happier and more peaceful on those days I remember ~ this is what I came up with:
- It reminds me of the positive things in life.
- It alters my perception of what ‘challenges’ are.
- I get to be thankful that my life isn’t boring.
- It reminds me that it’s hard to complain when you give thanks.
- It also reminds me to appreciate people (family, friends… even strangers) for who they are and what they do ~ it costs nothing and it can make someone else happy.
Try bringing gratitude to your life experiences, instead of waiting for a positive experience in order to feel grateful ~ soon you’ll not just be noticing life’s pleasant-little-things, you’ll be looking for (and finding) the good in the not-so-pleasant.